AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Row Cleaner/Coulter Combo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 11/21/2006 16:19 (#64113 - in reply to #64077)
Subject: RE: Row Cleaner/Coulter Combo

NE SD

Matt,

I think you were working on building a narrow row planter right? 20"? We've been running the Dawn single whipper/single coulter combo. for four years now, going into our 5th. We've had excellent luck with it, except for in a couple of fields this past spring where they were lifting too much black muck. We shouldn't have been there anyhow but when the rain's a comin' you do what you have to. I have not been a proponent to floating trash whippers in the past. My main reason for that is because in a no-till situation, usually unless you are going to and from worked fields, very little adjustment in standard row cleaners is ever necessary. I have a hard time justifying the extra cost in my mind when these have worked so well in the past. Adjusting them is a synch with a Dewalt drill and socket. We have never had any trouble with the coulters hair-pinning as you say. Last spring I planted(beans 1 1/2") most of the night before a rain, in tough damp cornstalks at a slight angle to the rows, trying to straighten out mill long rounds and I never saw any hair-pinning. In our case, the coulters run 2" to the side of the row about the same depth as the row. Doubtful at depths over 1" with a sharp 5/8" ripple coulter that you're going to see much hair-pinning in anything.

The local Hutterite Colony was running some Sunco?? cleaners last spring. They said they really liked them. They were somewhat like the "Sharktooth". We have not had much luck with Yetter products.

(p4210019.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments p4210019.jpg (121KB - 305 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)