AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EV vs Hybrid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 5/6/2024 19:18 (#10731175 - in reply to #10730475)
Subject: RE: EV vs Hybrid

East of Broken Bow
Brian Smith - 5/6/2024 07:37

I know this is a topic that is pretty beaten up by many about the pitfalls of EVs. I like the premise, but I think they are too much of a stretch for me.

Hybrids on the other hand: We finally took the plunge and got a used 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid with about 22,000 miles and I must say after a month it has far exceeded my expectations. This little peppy vehicle gets 43 mpg. It has most of the bells and whistles and does everything we'd want as the wife mobile. The battery combined with the engine gives this thing a lot of pull "off the line." We went 3 weeks on a fill up and that only takes 11-12 gallons. Toyota has a 10 year/150 mile warranty on the batteries.

Synopsis for those without experience with one: The battery starts it moving to break the tension of standing still and then uses the electric motors to start the engine to pull it on up to speed. No starter on these as it was my concern it would wear out quickly. The engine when running mostly does double duty as both propulsion and battery charging. Then when stopping/coasting, engine shuts off and all the breaking energy is piped back into the battery. Moving it around the driveway, parking lot, or anything slow uses only the battery. Interior heats up quickly when cold and cools down quickly when hot even when battery only.

I really don't understand why the car companies are not putting this system into most vehicles. I would think even the 1/2 ton pickups with a little bigger gas engine would be extremely efficient. Say going from 15-18 mpg to 25-30 mpg. Think about the total fuel savings in the US if 80% of all new consumer vehicles doubled their mpg.

my .02 cents

For quite some time I've been thinking that a plug in hybrid would be the most practical way to drive electrically for the most people. If it would go 30-50 miles on the battery, most commuters could drive pure electric, and plug it in overnight.
I know there are those who think a plug in hybrid is a fools errand, that a pure EV has many advantages, but those advantages start to disappear when you are dealing with people who don't park in the same garage every night, or take somewhat frequent long trips, etc, etc. I have relatives in California, and during a fire, the first thing that is done in many areas is to cut the power. They said that they know several people who left their EV home to burn because it wasn't fully charged, and they were not sure it would make the full evacuation safely. (Ironic that the State that wants to do the most to fight pollution passes a law that more or less guarantees more new cars will burn).
Having the ICE to generate electricity gives unlimited range with 5 minute fill ups, and allows the owner the choice of using fuel or electricity, depending on cost and personal preference.
Reliability-wise, I don't see why that would be an issue. If an ICE engine powering a generator that drives the machine is a problematic system, it would not be used in things like mining trucks and machinery, or locomotives.

(side note California passed a law requiring zero emission locomotives. I will be curious to see how that works out.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)