AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

End Dump axles 3 to 2?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 6/10/2023 05:32 (#10263915 - in reply to #10263891)
Subject: RE: End Dump axles 3 to 2?

Southern Pa.
Personally, I don't care for 102 width trailers. I'll take a 96 inch anyday if given the choice. Just easier to see around, the sides line up better with the mirrors, etc.

You do need to be roughly 2 ft longer with a 96 inch trailer vs a 102 inch trailer to get the same capacity assuming you have the same wall height on both. That's true for dump trailers anyway.

2 ft shorter and 6 inches wider across the tires (if the axles are actually longer on a 102) would be a little more stable dumping. That would be a plus.

As far as triple axles scrubbing too much, if you can dump off the front axle air bags before turning, I wouldn't worry about it. Just do it a little bit ahead of the turn to give it time to bleed the air off. A front lift axle would be the nicest. You do need to be aware of using the brakes when you're dumping the air off of an axle. When they get light, you can slide/flat spot the tires pretty easy. This is true for lift axles as well until they get off the ground.

We have a tandem spread axle dump, so we're always dumping air before hard turns. We have a front lift, and a rear dump axle. We just avoid using the brakes when dumping either axle. That's what they make 7 inch straight pipes and Jake's for, saves a lot of brakes and flat spots on lift axle tires. LOL

We always lift the front axle when doing a hard turn loaded. Sometimes when we're empty, we'll dump off the rear axle if getting in a tight driveway. Shortens the trailer by ten feet, but you do need to be aware of the trailer tail swing when doing that. It's like driving a school bus, lots of tail swing.

If you want something for inexperienced drivers, a closed tandem is pretty much fool proof.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)