AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Data Backup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

chirpfarm
Posted 4/3/2024 07:05 (#10691669 - in reply to #10690385)
Subject: RE: Best Data Backup

South Central MN
The #1 reason is that if you're only storing documents directly to the drive due to space constraints on your pc, it is literally not a backup. It's your primary storage.

#2, you don't typically want your backup to have a single point of failure. Adding a 2nd portable hard drive would be advised at a minimum, plus storing it offsite if possible to avoid losing everything in a fire for example.

Single point failure would also apply to cloud solutions such as Google drive when used as your only backup method. I might be a bit paranoid, but I'm wary of dumping my data into a solution that is certainly a massive target for hackers. In addition, Google now controls access to your data. It's fine to use Google, but I'd also want another backup I have under my direct control.

#3, most portable drive users don't follow a regular schedule for performing backups. You'll likely go months without doing a real backup. Good backup solutions have software that'll automatically schedule the backups during periods of low use of the target computer.

#4, some software can also make time-stamped iterations or snapshots of your data. This helps protect against ransomware attacks, although it isn't a perfect cure.

Now, there is software available that performs #3 & 4 to a portable drive, but I'd still want a secondary drive as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)