AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ripping sod
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/14/2007 16:29 (#219285 - in reply to #219134)
Subject: Re: Ripping sod

Well, I only have one pic that I can find that even remotley shows an idea of what we do. But basically if it is dry and really tough going, I will start with a chisel. (ours is a JD 714) Then go to the ripper. This way the there is very few huge plates of rock hard soil to swallow a front tractor tires.:-( Then go the disk, sometimes twice. Then I use a roller in front of the plow. This way the top of the soil, and the clumps that lay on top are somewhat "tacked" to the soil. The plow then has very little trouble. Actually I have had no trouble at all with my JD plow since I figured out how make the thing work. But that's another story.

This picture is of taking out a strawberry field. I mostly followed the same procedure here as I described above, only I flailed the berries first, and the ripper would not even begin to go in the ground, so I just chiseled it as deep as it would go and called it good. This soil was very compacted due to the many chemicals applied to the berries in very wet situations. I had to farm it this way, as I could not wait for rain due to the timing needed for planting tall fescue. It also worked better to expose the soil to the sunlight for a while to break down some of the chemical residual from the berries that can harm the grass seed.

(IM000580.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM000580.JPG (79KB - 188 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)