AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storage of dried corn------in Harvestore silo, or in a pile in a shed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sri
Posted 9/25/2006 11:02 (#46560 - in reply to #46547)
Subject: RE: Storage of dried corn------in Harvestore silo, or in a pile in a shed?

nw pa
If it were mine I would put it in the harvestore. The important things are, clean corn, dried to proper moisture. Which 14 will be ok for as long as you intend. Would dry it to 13 or 13.5 for longer term and if you can afford it. And seeing as how this is high priced corn I would dry it. The other thing that to me must be done is to cool it. This may call for a late transfer from another bin that has been cooled. Most run into trouble by having the corn to warm it then sweats the first warm day and trouble starts. A coil of 8 inch plastic with some way of hooking a fan to it will put all the air you need. If the other steps are done right you don't need any air and may do more harm than good. Used to store a lot of corn on bin floors with no air. it would come out better than the others. Around here freezing corn is a no-no. Any where below forty will keep the bugs out and mold won't grow.Too much humidity to ever keep it when it warms up unless you want to spend a lot of time airing it out. Always have had better luck just getting it down to above freezing and leaving it alone till it is hauled out. Has worked for many years. You would know best what works in your climate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)