AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till module on JD cart
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/10/2023 07:18 (#10264011 - in reply to #10262885)
Subject: RE: Strip till module on JD cart

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Not really, as apparently the shaft sensor was working since you were able to do a calibration with your self test speed idea.

Ag Leader's idea is to use the static calibration (not moving nor actually applying in the field) to get the initial values so that you can apply and at least be in the ballpark with your first loads.

Then when you actually apply, you can compare the scale weight tickets against the total on the Ag Leader to do some fine tuning.

In essence you did the static calibration on your own without the Wizard. Be sure to check the scale tickets against the Ag Leader results to confirm you are actually applying what you desire.

When I did granular calibrations with other systems that did not have a Wizard, I essentially did what you describe. For example, when using a Raven 440 which was not designed for granular, I would enter an arbitrary meter cal of 100 or another meter cal from a similar unit to start with. I would enter a self-test speed that I planned to use and a usual target rate. I would set the volume total to zero. I would then put some actual product in the rig and run the system for a while and see how the weight of the dispensed product compares to the total volume shown on the Raven.

Depending on the situation, I might try to catch the dispensed product and weigh it. Other times, it was easier to weigh the rig, run some out, weigh again and subtract the weights.

I would then compare the dispensed product weight to the volume (weight actually) shown on the Raven. If they closely agreed (unlikely) then the meter cal I used was close. If they disagreed, I would change the meter cal and repeat.

The system will divide the pulses it reads from the shaft sensor by the meter cal. If the Raven volume showed LESS weight than the scale, the meter cal was too large so I would reduce the meter cal I had used proportionately. If the Raven volume showed MORE weight than the scale, the meter cal was too small so I would increase the meter cal I had used proportionately. I would repeat the process with the corrected meter cal.

I would make a chart of the meter cals for the various products and situations for future reference. Then compare the scale tickets to the Raven total to make fine adjustments to the meter cal if necessary.

The Ag Leader approach has you enter the name of the product so the parameters for that product are available in the future.

The metering wheels or whatever your implement uses need to be appropriate for your product, ground speed and rate. For example, if the metering wheels are too small, just increasing their speed will only increase the output to a certain point. Beyond that speed the output may actually decrease since the product needs "time" to flow into the metering device.

Calibrating granular rigs can be confusing. Remember you are not actually weighing the product and determining the application rate from a scale. The system is watching the shaft rotation of the metering device and making the assumption that a given quantity will be dispensed for each rotation of the shaft. That assumption is true over a limited range.

Edited by tedbear 6/10/2023 07:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)