AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

residue cover effects
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/8/2023 10:44 (#10261688 - in reply to #10261377)
Subject: RE: residue cover effects

southern MN
Other side of the coin here is when it’s too wet and too cold as most springs are, the covers aren’t growing yet so use no moisture but shade the ground keeping it cold and wet.

If we could know the exact weather ahead of time for April through June, we could plan all these ideas to fit perfectly! But working with ma nature and her surprises, we have to plan for the average, hope for the best, and not lock ourselves into something that will be the worst.

That’s the trouble with these new ideas as we get into colder and shorter growing season areas. And I joke that these are new ideas - as an 8 year old I was mulch tilling small grains into stalks (A 10 foot single gang old disk is hardly actual tillage...) and plowing down sweet clover for dad long ago....

Mikes pics look more like a strip till vs seeding direct test.

I would expect the strip to warm and dry and emerge much faster in my location.

Some of the beans I just planted into corn stalks I chiseled last fall and field cultivated once this spring don’t look too different than the residue Mike shows!

Always enjoy your stuff Mike, perhaps I don’t interpret it the way I’m supposed to, but it always makes me think.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)