AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbors want to use everything.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Fellers Ranch
Posted 6/10/2023 11:12 (#10264295 - in reply to #10262913)
Subject: RE: Neighbors want to use everything.

Conger, MN
I'm lucky with a couple of good neighbors. Two guys and I regularly loan things to each other, and it has been going on now for about 20 years. How it happened was that we are about the same age, had kids about the same age, and were already somewhat friends. We had a conversation once about how it would be nice to not have to buy and maintain so much "stuff" . . . and we started discussing who has what items, and who needs what items. It lead to, "well, I have a ____ that you can use, if I can use your ___."

Unwritten rules are that you bring the item back cleaner/fuller with fuel/in better condition, etc. than when you took it. We've had items break down before, but no major issues deciding who pays for what.

The deal is no for large farm equipment, or other income-producing equipment . . .and that may be a key reason why it has worked well.

We share an old dozer, pontoon boat, extension chain saw, fancy ladder that works on stairs or slopped ground, gas-powered hedge clippers, neighbor's bikes that my wife and I occasionally use, snowshoes, my old pickup that they use for hauling wood & junk, hunting equipment, etc.

It is nice not being required to own everything that you only use a couple of times a year.

If something does not get returned, the owner can say, "You idiot -- bring my chainsaw back!" with no hard feelings. There are items that we are not comfortable loaning sharing, which can be a bit awkward but has not been a major problem. Example was my one guy bought a nice Toolcat that is not borrowed out . . . but he will come over and run it himself to help.

Of course, there are neighbors I would not do this with, but its worked with these two guys.

I'd suggest that if you have neighbors you fully trust, it is worth having a conversation about having an informal "sharing arrangement". We've each saved lots of money over the years, we've had access to better equipment than if we each owned our own, and it has lead to lots of conversations over a beer or tow. (For those wondering though -- no, we don't share wives.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)