AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scripture memorization
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 1/21/2024 23:39 (#10587029 - in reply to #10586915)
Subject: RE: Scripture memorization

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

Hilltop Husker - 1/21/2024 21:40 I have a couple questions after reading the bible this winter. If you don't mind. 

I will attempt to answer your questions.

Question:

Why does it say Jesus is the only son of God when Genesis mentions multiple sons of God who married descendants of adam?

Answer:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) The word "begotten" is translated from the Greek word "monogenes". It means "a single of its kind." In other words, while Jesus is not the "only" Son of God, He is the only one of His kind. He is unique. So in that sense Jesus is God's "only" Son. The rest of us become sons/daughters of God by being born again/baptized into His family (cf. John 3:3-7; Romans 6:3, 4; Romans 8:12-17; Galatians 3:26-29).

In Genesis 6:1, 2 the phrase "sons of God" refers to the lineage of Adam through Seth (cf. Genesis 5:1-32). That is, those who continued to believe in and live according to God's laws. On the other side of that equation you have the phrase "daughters of men." This would refer to the lineage of Adam through Cain (cf. Genesis 4:16-24). That is those who began to invent and worship various pagan gods of their own devising. That, of course, led to the downfall of the whole of humanity as related in Genesis chapters 6-8.

Question:

Why does it say multiple times there is one God but the bible mentions half a dozen gods by name?

Answer:

The "other gods" mentioned in the Bible (Baal, Dagon, Molech, et. al.) are the inventions of man. They were/are idols invented by the human mind, the worship of which is in direct violation of the first and second commandments (cf. Exodus 20:3-6). Paul's speech on Mar's Hill (the Aeropagus) in Athens (Acts 17:16-33) gives a pretty good explanation to your question. Additionally, a "god" does not necessarily have to be a statue or any other physical representation. Many people worship many different things (money, fame, pleasure, possessions, even ancestors, etc.). The worship of anything or anyone other that the God of heaven and earth is wrong. In resisting the temptations of the devil most Bible scholars believe Jesus referenced Deuteronomy 6:13, 14 when He stated, "You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve" (Matthew 4:10).

Question:

Are the sons of God mentioned in Genesis the sons of the other gods?

Answer:

No. They are human beings, just like the rest of us. See the answer to the first question.

Serious questions. I didn't notice these when I read the Bible in my youth.

I'm glad you are asking questions and I pray that my comments are helpful to you. Please feel free to contact me at any time. Email is in my profile or my cell phone is 7 one six four 9 9 zero seven one 9.

Edit for clarity.

Edited by clevepreach 1/21/2024 23:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)