AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Production sale question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

12thMan
Posted 2/29/2024 07:20 (#10644885 - in reply to #10643475)
Subject: RE: Production sale question

Western Ontario
I’ve got a stack of about 10 different bull sale catalogs on the breakfast island with me this morning representing 2 different breeds angus/simm, probably get 3-4 a day. Some of these herds I know by reputation, if starting a new sale here’s a couple thoughts.

1. Hire a professional photographer

2. Put your very best animal, scratch that, put the most marketable animal on the front cover, the one that will have the most appeal to the market, it may not be your best animal, it may not be your favorite it needs to be the most desirable, your sale management probably needs to help you with that.

3. You should have a very clear easily recognizable farm logo, if you don’t $500 bucks will get a graphic designer, use a committee of friends and family to select the best one, stick with it. Put that on the front cover too, but all your contact info can go on an inside page.

4. Front inside cover, a big picture of your family and your farm/ranch story so people know who they’re giving their money too, doesn’t need to be long but should include the 5 W’s

5. Outside back cover, a big clear easy to follow map to the sale with the date and time in big print, think about how many times you throw a catalog down with the back cover up, again should have your logo on it.

6. Put the lot number of your cover bull on front cover but don’t make it your first lot, make people search through the catalog for him

7. Hire a professional photographer

8. Use fakebook/twitter/instagram starting 10 days before your sale. We’ve had the best response from short 15-20 second professional video clips with a link to the catalog.

9. I’d definitely have online access and bidding, might not sell many that way off the start but it lets folks snoop on what you’ve got going on and they may show up in person for the next one.

Just a few thoughts off the top, I don’t think you need to include every epd, the guy that wants to know about heifer pregnancy and hair shed know how to look that up.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)