AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sand media filter design
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

moon1234
Posted 3/5/2024 20:28 (#10653171 - in reply to #10653035)
Subject: RE: Sand media filter design

De Forest, WI
beanpole - 3/5/2024 19:24

Not sure if this is the right category. I’m gonna try to install a sand media filter in a greenhouse. It will be a single tank setup that will be fed from a pond and will need flushed occasionally. It will have access to a small well for flushing.

Question
How many gallons per minute is needed from the well to effectively flush the filter?

Don’t bother with a sand media filter for this setup. They are more trouble than they are worth for a greenhouse. Look at an Amiad Mini-Sigma auto clean filter. It is designed for this type of configuration. I assume you’re using a pump from the pond? Place the Amiad right after the pump and drain the Amiad right back into the pond.

https://youtu.be/zoXjRnkqiZc?si=-AVTk5ofIZJfXQ3-

https://us.amiad.com/products/mini-sigma-series-irr/

I don’t work for them.

Depending on how clean the water is you could also use an API Spin Clean filter. I use these when irrigating from a stream.

https://jainsusa.com/store/4e-jain-spin-clean-filter/

The spin clean filters have a disc with angled holes that makes the water spin as it goes through the middle of the filter. Crud goes to the bottom of the filter and collects in the “bowl” that has the flush valve. This can be “manually” flushed periodically or you can leave the valve open a crack if most of the crud is fine silt or sand. Put a non-collapsing garden hose on the flush valve and leave it cracked just a little for continous flush.

If you will need over 35gpm then get the 2” model. The spin cleaning function comes from a disc that sits at the water inlet inside the filter. Depending on the GPM, the disc will have 1,2,3 or 4 holes that spray water against the screen filter. Higher GPM uses a disc with more holes. There needs to be about 10 PSI pressure drop across the filter for the water jet to be strong enough to clean the screen well. If you need less GPM then buy a smaller spin clean filter.

The Spin Clean filters cost about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost of an automated Amiad Mini-Sigma. If your pond is pretty clean you may be fine with the spin-clean. If it’s murky-dirty then i would suggest any automated filter.

Sand filters are really only needed if there is a lot of algae and organic contaminants. These dont clean off of screen filters very well. Most of that can be avoided by sinking a 5 gallon pail in the pond and putting your strainer on the end of suction hose and drop it in the bucket That way the strainer isn’t sucking off the bottom of the pond nor is it pulling in crap from the water surface.

Edited by moon1234 3/5/2024 21:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)