AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for south and central Georgia farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

PhilToddCo
Posted 3/12/2024 09:58 (#10662360 - in reply to #10661988)
Subject: RE: Question for south and central Georgia farmers

Osakis,Mn
Regarding the red sorrel, I see that it is a perennial, is it easily controlled by post emergence herbicides? Some of the fields I saw yesterday, it seemed to be the predominant weed out in the field. It also seemed to be in the unirrigated fields more often than the pivot irrigated fields. My experience farming in the Midwest for 40 years was that we tried to control most weeds, especially perennials before they reproduced, thereby reducing the weed seed bank in the soil. I’m sure farming practices and ways of making a profit are different in the South than the Midwest.

Two weeds come to mind in the years of my farming experience that used to be a problem were Common Mustard and Quackgrass. Mustard was easily killed by 2,4-D and other herbicides, but in order to eliminate it from our farm, Dad had us hand pulling the escapes every year. Roundup was the death sentence for Quackgrass, rarely see it anymore, only a small amount in a hay field that hasn’t been rotated for a few years. The biggest evil weed I encountered in the last years of farming was Waterhemp and its “relatives”. A weed that can germinate all summer long and still produce seed under a thick canopy of solid seeded soybeans. I’ll have to leave that to the next generation to figure out. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)