AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag leader harness
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/18/2024 06:22 (#10669516 - in reply to #10669284)
Subject: RE: Ag leader harness

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
As others have mentioned, you have the Ag Leader SC110 CAN switch box which includes the circuitry of the Auxiliary Input Module inside the enclosure. Your picture of an Ag Leader drawing in your original post does not pertain to the switch box arrangement that you will be using. Other drawings might show the SC110 that you have. The switch box and Auxiliary Input Module shown in the drawing could be used but the SC110 is functionally equivalent and takes up less space in the tractor cab.

If an Ag Leader display is going to be used for application control such as working with a planter, sprayer, fertilizer spreader etc., a method is needed to allow the operator to work with the products or sections. This is not necessary if the Ag Leader display is used with a combine for harvest monitoring.

The first Ag Leader display utilizing a CAN system was the Ag Leader Insight. Back in those days if the Ag Leader was going to be used for an application situation, the switch box and separate Auxiliary Input Module were used. A very common switch box was the one shown in your first picture that consisted of a Master Switch and 10 smaller switches that could be used for various purposes. That switch box connected to the Auxiliary Input Module as shown in the drawing. It had a green connector with wires for the Master and the first 9 small switches. It also had a brown connector that contained the wire for small switch 10 and some other empty pin locations. The green and brown connectors plugged into the Auxiliary Input Module and allowed the operator to convey their intentions to the system.

Although the switch box shown in your drawing was the most commonly used switch box, it wasn't/isn't the only choice. For a spreader truck with only one section, that switch box could be used but only one switch was ever needed so a simple single switch arrangement could be used. This resulted in a cleaner install since the extra switches were not needed in that situation.

For my own planter, I made a homemade switch box that only included the small switches that I needed and some other switches I added for other things on the planter that had nothing to do with Ag Leader. As mentioned the majority of tractor installations used the switch box and Auxiliary Input Module.

After a couple of years, Ag Leader started offering the SC110 CAN switch box that you have. They were able to put the circuitry of the Auxiliary Input Module inside the switch box. This made the Auxiliary Input Module unnecessary. This gave the customer two choices 1) Use the Auxiliary Input Module and some type of separate switch box or 2) Use the SC110 CAN switch box alone. These two choices are functionally equivalent.

You would use one or the other but never both at the same time. Both approaches are still available since the SC110 CAN switch box takes up less space (I have one in my current planting tractor) but the Auxiliary Input module and separate switches has its place in other situations (I have one of those in my Hagie sprayer and use the OEM switches with it).

Your SC110 switch box will have a small round connector as part of its wiring. This is how it communicates with the rest of the system. It is the equivalent of the round connector and Tee shown in your first picture. For the vast majority of setups, that's it. No other connections are necessary since the Master and small switches on your SC110 are plenty (often many more than you need).

So you might ask, why does your SC110 have that extra bunch of wires with a connector sticking out the back? The answer is they are available for other purposes, they are mostly equivalent to the wires in the brown connector that the Auxiliary Input has.

Will you ever have the need for them? Maybe, maybe not. They are available for some less used functions that make use of some extra input choices.

One use that comes to mind is that some planters use hydraulic seed drives. There are times when it is desirable to be able to Jump Start the seed meters without moving. This could be necessary if you had to stop mid field for some reason. When you start moving again, there will be a gap since the hydraulic drive doesn't start instantly. The Jump Start switch forces the seed meters to turn until the ground speed gets going again. The Jump Start switch would be plugged in as a Tee to the brown connector on an Auxiliary Input Module. It plugs into the connector on the back of your SC110. This is why I say that you may or may not ever use that connector.

The inputs that are normally used are referred to as the "F" inputs. The extra ones in that loose connector or the brown connector on an Auxiliary Input Module are referred to as the "E" inputs. They can be used for the Jump Start features with planters and some other somewhat unusual situations. For example, one of the "E" inputs can be used should an operator wish to use a different external switch for the Master. I used them on my Hagie sprayer to work with a remote and my phone to test boom sections. Since these are fairly unusual situations you will likely not need to use the connector on the back for anything. It is included for those who have a need for them.

Edited by tedbear 3/18/2024 08:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)