AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1st Calf Heifer?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SamT
Posted 3/29/2024 06:30 (#10684963 - in reply to #10681379)
Subject: RE: 1st Calf Heifer?????

Texas
I give a lot of second chances.
No scientific reason, but is it worth your time to mess with one heifer? Sale barn is an hour drive for me, so not economical most of the time to take just one.

So far I’ve never had a heifer I gave a second chance to not wean a calf the next year. I’ve also had heifers that lost the calf 100% due to their inexperience the next year they won’t let you tag their baby. I pulled the uterus out of one in summer 22, buddy of mine put it back and sewed her with a tire plug tool and jacket string. I fed and watered her for 7 days before she got up. She was a$400 cow then, wasn’t worth it to haul her off. I had some steers to gather in December and I was gonna take her to town. She looked like a barren cow at that point. I ran the siren and she wasn’t with the cows. Few minutes later here she comes with a calf.

At today’s prices you can’t go wrong to cull anything. But as a shorts and gator cowboy I think the horse and rope cowboys standard cull anything that doesn’t wean a calf is just a tradition of how grandpa did it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)