AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MIG
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 4/2/2024 12:58 (#10690792 - in reply to #10690421)
Subject: RE: MIG

West Central Illinois
I don't do the sacrifice paddock deal like a lot of people do. Maybe it works better on farms that aren't so choppy with ditches and steep slopes where a guy could go in and drag it later in the spring and interseed the sacrifice paddock to fix it. If I did that on my farms it'd take a decade or better to fix 1 winters worth of damage.

I just do the same rotation like i do in the summer but i'm unrolling hay as long as i can get them to eat it usually until middle of april. My rotation's usually around 50-60 days give or take. But yes, right now this time of year i'm unrolling hay on a new paddock but they do take the new growth grass down to around 4" or so but it bounces right back once we leave that paddock. Usually move to a new patch and backfence them out of the old one about 2x per week this time of year, more frequent of course during the grazing season. Another thing I do that i feel helps some keeping them distracted from taking to the new grass growth too much is i save some of the better hay to feed this time of year waiting on new grass.

I think the biggest key to it all is just let them get as much rest as possible. A lot of people say 30 days but depending on soil type 30 days might not be near enough on some pastures.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• MIG - Theforest44 : 4/2/2024 08:38

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)