AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom Steel Door
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 4/3/2024 09:46 (#10691907 - in reply to #10691338)
Subject: RE: Custom Steel Door

NW Missouri
We put a storm shelter in our basement too. That door was actually the very first item we bought for our house, because they wanted the frame there so they could pour around it. It's not a vault door, but is a very thick, sturdy steel storm door. Some of the ones I looked at had multiple deadbolts top and bottom, but the one I ended up with just has one. It seems plenty sturdy enough. I can look up the brand tonight if you want it, but I just found it online somewhere. It was around a thousand bucks IIRC, but that's been almost 10 years ago now. I have no idea if they do custom sizes or not.

I forget why - if the frame was too wide for the forms, or what the deal was exactly, but I know we had to grind the frame in two and weld it back together to make our frame a custom width. Just how you want to start the homebuilding process cutting up the first thing that you bought, whose sole purpose is to be strong lol.

I planned for my room to be a storm shelter/gun safe/safety deposit box. I put an outlet in there, but forgot to have them put a floor drain in it, so if I were to put a decent sized dehumidifier in there (like you'd need for an 8x8x9 concrete box), I'd have to remember to go drain it fairly often. Consequently, we have a gun safe inside our storm shelter that houses all the guns and important papers that need to stay fireproof and that big fancy door stays open unless we were going to use it as a shelter - which we never have yet.

Edited by Expensive Hobby 4/3/2024 09:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)