AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bottle Calf from First Calf Heifer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 4/16/2024 11:51 (#10708724)
Subject: Bottle Calf from First Calf Heifer

West Central Illinois
Had my last southpoll heifer calve this morning, saw her with calf thought all was good then saw a nasty brown blob under a cedar 30 yard away and see it's a twin and he's still alive, never a lick to clean him off apparently. Thought what the heck picked him up took him to mom to see what happens. Walks up, gives him a sniff and she roared like grizzly bear and gave him a good toss and i said welp you're coming home with me little guy.

Got him all dried off and in the garage borrowing the dogs bed and went to town and got colostrum replacer. The vet wasn't in and the tech hardly knew what i was looking for so no additional instructions were given than what's on the bag. Instructions on bag shows to give the full 4 pint mix all at once then 8 hrs later another bag of colostrum replacer mixed into 4 pints. My heifers are between 800-900 lb when they calve so these twins are 40 lb each or so.

This seems like an awful lot to give to a 40 lb calf? Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how much to feed daily? The internet results are mixed as well varying from 5-10% of calf's bodyweight. With how much these bottle calves bring I really don't want to screw it up and lose a bonus calf because i know when my cow's start calving later this month we're definitely not going to bat 100%

Edited by Lb94 4/16/2024 11:52

(Snapchat-2000840446 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Snapchat-2000840446 (full).jpg (391KB - 14 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)