AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

855 Cummins saga. Black smoke
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 4/18/2024 08:35 (#10711196 - in reply to #10710650)
Subject: RE: 855 Cummins saga. Black smoke

just a tish NE of central ND
855 is a cam activated injector timing. So probably no pump timing. Unless you have a cylinder missing and dumping fuel in that does not burn right it's probably an AIR shortage problem.
Have you recently had to change a turbo? I replaced a turbo on a combine Cummins with a reman, and for a few hundred hours I had smoke issues, and air filter exhaust soot- issues and was searching for an answer. We blamed it on the aspirator. But when I unhooked it the filter was plugged with chaff in a VERY short time.... so that proved to not be the reason. I replace that turbo again and the smoke went away, the soot went away. And I gained a LOT of horsepower again! That particular removed reman turbo had very very eroded away castings inside of it.
I would say you are losing turbo boost pressure.
>> ONE of the problems is parts are scarce for the 855s and all Cummins as far as that goes. Turbo chargers and rebuildable castings for turbos(for my 1680 combine) are hard to come by so they use burnt out castings to rebuild. That 1st reman turbo never did work right. The 2nd brought her to life!

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 4/18/2024 08:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)