AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

scrapple
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

martin
Posted 9/20/2009 13:28 (#853618 - in reply to #852093)
Subject: RE: scrapple

after cutting meat off the bones, we would put the bones back in the large iron kettle, add water, and cook the bones until the all the meat would come off the bones; take the bones out, and cook the meat down until we had puddin' meat.  That would be drawn out of the iron kettle and put in pans to cool.  Puddin meat was fried up to eat.

Or some of the puddin meat was put back in the iron kettle to make Ponhaus (Scrapple).  We always called in Ponhaus - I think there is a difference, but I can't tell you what the difference is.

Sometimes, my dad would remove the brains, and my mom would fry up the brains to eat. 

Oh yeah, we would scrape the hog intestines, and clean them, to stuff sausages. 

Souse, fried brains, pickled tongue.......  I grew up with all that.  I personally didn't eat all that, but my mom and grandmother - and their generation - did.  And that was traditional to make those kinds of specialities when we butchered. 

We - our family - probably quit doing our own butchering sometime in the mid-1980's.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)