AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

i am buying a headstone- not for me.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ohionana
Posted 5/4/2010 09:37 (#1185346 - in reply to #1181542)
Subject: Re: i am buying a headstone- not for me.

N E Ohio
As it happens, I just talked to a funeral home yesterday finalizing my mother's headstone.

This whole funeral business is a huge scam! My 90 year old mother died Jan 28. Thinking she would make it as cheap and easy on us, she chose to be cremated..NO calling hours (she said they "are barbaric") no services.. said we should just get together some nice sunny day and bury her ashes.

Sorry..but all the ghouls with their hands out will not let that happen. You HAVE to have an "approved" urn ($290) and buy a cement "vault" for $242 to hold that urn....no just digging a little hole and dumping the ashes into the ground. The cremation cost $2473.56..and that was doing it as simply as we could. The cemetery has one specific person who must pour the foundation for the headstone..he only charges $250. Then there is another guy who digs the hole and fills it back in...another $200. We asked if we couldn't do this ourselves...thinking the grands would all like to do this for Granny....well, we can, but this man still has to be present to make sure we follow their rules..so we still have to pay him.

We also tried to pick the cheapest plainest headstone "only" another $1495 plus $2.50 for every letter and number...if you want to add a small etched flower or something to dress it up a little, that's another $250. Oh yes, our cemetry requires the surname be on the back...so another $150. My poor sweet mother never spent that kind of money on herself at one time in her entire life!

You are to be commended for making sure your siblings' graves are marked. How sad for your parents that they could never do that.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)