AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a house if you had a chance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

collegeboy
Posted 5/25/2010 21:52 (#1213856 - in reply to #1213768)
Subject: RE: Building a house if you had a chance

Slicker than a Yes album.
I like 2 story houses, but as a guy gets older, I can see having everything on one level. Neighbor built one with a large foot print, all main areas on one level. No dedicated dining room, kitchen and dining area are melded into one. 36" doors everywhere in case you are in a wheel chair for a long time. Able to get the garage and house on the same level with no major step. Walkout basement, 3 summer porch area.

As for heat and a/c, air pump (though if you have the space, water based geothermal is best) back up generator, extra lines to the hot side of showers/faucets. This system basically works as the old JD thermo siphon. Hot water rises and pushes the colder back to the water heater. Have both of them insulated, keeps from wasting so much water while you wait for hot water. (a must if you build a large foot print, one story house) I know you can have tankless heaters, but it's just one more thing to fix if you want to keep to one heater.

Seamless steel siding/gutters, metal roof, don't chintz on the glass, either. I'm sure there will be many others chiming in on this.

(39951.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 39951.jpg (39KB - 129 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)