AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Went to a seed corn meeting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nayrgro
Posted 8/25/2007 01:58 (#192886 - in reply to #192680)
Subject: Re: Went to a seed corn meeting

Tekonsha Mi.
I am a Dekalb dealer (just to be fair I thought that should be said) I planted about 50% RR in 06 and about 25% in 05. In 06 we had a little mix up in a small 40 acre field and well needless to say we had a small replant issue! After that I went to 100% RR. In my operation I am doing a post application of 16-22 oz. of R-omax tank mixed with 1/3-2/3 rate of Degree X-tra. It costs me less per acre than my old program and that is including the tech fee. My old program was 2.1 qt. of harness x-tra with 3 oz of hornet applied at planting. The hornet is for my trizen resent lambsquater also I plant early and I would run into fall grasses on some years due to the fact I was running out of my residual. I also found a yield increase with the RR program which may be from root pruning form the hornet on my sander soils. With the RR program I get more residual with less product due to a latter application.
I have been planting 80% ygcb for 5 years now, I have found that the ygcb has a yield advantage over conventional plus the ygcb stood much better. This year I had around 20% triple stack on my corn after corn acres.
I am thinking about going to more triple stack on corn after bean and corn after wheat acres, On the corn after soy acres I am starting to find more of the soybean root worm variant. On the corn after wheat acres I am going to do my side by sides to look at yield. Also I have all of my seed treated with poncho 250 to help with white grubs and seed corn maggot which I have quite a bit of. So when I go to triple stacks I get the poncho 250 for free and the cost difference between RR ygcb with poncho 250 there is about a $5 per acre cost to add the ygrw trait. With that said. I also think that the best verities that Dekalb offers have a much better line of seed in the traited side of seed. I would also like to say that I have had the Monsanto experimental seed plots on my farm for about 5 years now and the new VT 3 event looks like a nice addition to there line up and the verities with the VT 3 have been topping my plots constantly.

I also know that there are many farmers out there that do not like Monsanto but I would like to say that what they have brought agriculture in the past 15 years has changed farming forever. They are one of the only if not the only companies that are a USA company and also one of the few if not the only company's that are totally ag. Therefore the fait of the American farmer is detrimental to the growth and profit of there company. And as for the tech fee increase's I don't like it but they have to answer to there stock holders at the end of the day and they do spend 5 mill.+ on research and development per year and that is the most spend by any seed and chem country by a large margin.

I am excited to hear your responses.

Have a safe harvest!! Ryan

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)