AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No alfalfa hay in 2008 for this fellow.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/25/2007 08:33 (#209172 - in reply to #208987)
Subject: Tifton 85 bermudagrass

Little River, TX

In theory Tifton 85 is better adapted to clay soils than coastal bermuda.
The T 85 I saw, just north of Overton, was truly spectacular.

Here it fits very well into a managed grazing program. The idea is to allow the grass grow to full height going into the first frost. Then grazing it out in February when every one else is feeding hay. The NRCS people did a plant analysis of standing forages one winter. T-85 equaled or exceeded the feeding quality of dormant native tall grasses.

It is my rule of thumb that the feed cost for grazing a cow is roughly $0.15/day while feeding hay the cost is $1.50/day. again roughly speaking. That is something for a commercial hay grower to say. No matter as I have a good supply of customers who insist on a stocking rate that is way too high for their available pasture.

I have two advantages over East Texas. First is we have less rain and that makes harvesting less complicated, Usually anyway. The other is this heavy clay holds nitrogen fertilizer, holds it for years and years in some cases. Therefore I can apply 300 to 600 lbs/a of anhydrous ammonia, and it will be there when needed. We have some disadvantages also, but I will keep those a secret.

I still hope to get back to growing alfalfa, with all deliberate speed.  

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 9/25/2007 08:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)