AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Our corn is so crappy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Brian in E Ore
Posted 9/24/2007 23:56 (#209070 - in reply to #209043)
Subject: RE: Was it all those 100+ degree days??

Malheur County Oregon
When I said the corn was crappy. I kinda meant it for dramatic effect. That is doing corn with a grain platform. She was able to move along about 2-2.2 mph with it, any faster it wouldn't cut cleanly. The combine handled it fine.

This P&C Early that we did went about 2200 lbs in the dirt. 3000 lbs plus would be better. The hot weather defiantly affected things some. The ear fill on this was only about 60% which drags yield big time. The Serendipity filled as good as anything I've ever seen but don't have the weights back on it. Should be a day or so after they send it through the husker and dryer we will know more.

Another issue we have with growing the sweet corn seed is having enough isolation from grain corn fields. Need a minimum of 660' and more would be better. We have gotten dent corn contamination in the seed before and that can really affect how bad it tares out on us.

The machine that knocks down the pollinator rows is a nitro sprayer that the guy pulled the booms off and made a set of rotating shafts about 8" apart that hang vertical about 5' long on each side of the row. On each shaft he has a whole slug of the taper lock hubs that have sickle sections bolted to them. The shafts are driven by hyd motors and flat out spin fast. It takes that polinator row and shreds it to nothing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)