AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

vvv
Posted 9/25/2007 23:30 (#209677 - in reply to #209646)
Subject: RE: Seed beans

West Central MN
We grow seed beans for Monsanto.

There really aren't any hard and fast requirements.

Basically what happens is as soon as you are done harvesting a variety they will come out and probe your bin. When all of the bins have been probed for that variety, they will grade each sample and you get a bin ranking from that.

There are four factors which are used for grading: Germination, Usable Seed, Moisture, and Appearance.

So really you can have as much mechanical damage as you want, but it may drop your bin ranking so low that they will not call the bin in. So obviously it is in your best interest to get the best quality sample as you can as the premiums are also based on these bin rankings.

The cleaning equipment is so good these days that can clean almost anything out, but you only get paid for usable seed. They even have color sorters these days.

One thing I've noticed the past few years is that they are stressing moisture much more. Basically they want the beans as wet as you can get by with. I beleive the maximum moisture is something like 15 percent and I think a moisture over 13 percent will give you a bonus in the bin ranking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)