AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizing No Till Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/5/2007 14:20 (#214870 - in reply to #214446)
Subject: Phosphate & avail on wheat.

Little River, TX
In a hydroponics sand about 5 lbs of phosphate should change a soil test by 1 ppm.
In a real world, but ideal for phosphate 16 or 17 lbs of will change a soil test 1 ppm.
Can not say about acid soils and aluminum reacting with phosphate to tie it up but on high pH soils with an over abundance of calcium avail might help.
One rule is for each percentage of free lime add 10 lbs of phosphate. I find 71 lbs of phosphate will usually change my soil test by one ppm. If this rule is even close my soil should have 5 to 6% free lime, to combine with the phosphate for a secession of calcium phosphates all of which are less available than the other one.
Strategies that appear to work, besides using a whole lot more phosphate than is financially comfortable.
Surface banding of the fertilizer.
Deep banding (8-10 inches) of the fertilizer. Some studies say this is superior to surface banding while other studies are not as optimistic.
Put phosphate down with your anhydrous. appears to work reasonably well.
Now we have Avail, the latest great shining knight. Is it more cost effective for positive results than any of the above? Some say yes while some say no. Obviously you are going to give it a try and see.
Let us know how it works.

One thing none of us should do is compare fertility recommendations for another soil and climate to ours. Look at the reasoning involved and consider that, not the raw numbers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)