AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizing No Till Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/6/2007 10:53 (#215273 - in reply to #215011)
Subject: Re: Fertilizing No Till Wheat

Little River, TX
Our friends in Oklahoma take growing alfalfa seriously. They ran a series of trials where they applied 600 lbs of phosphate for a 6 year stand. Some annually, some every two years and one where all 600 lbs was applied prior to planting.
Mostly looking at DAP but they also had a liquid trial.
They found total yield was more with the big shot up front than fertilizing with later top dressing.
They found that injecting 10-34-0 (600 lbs Phos. is 1765 lbs 10-34-0) will produce enough extra hay to pay for the difference in liquid over dry.
I asked their DR Caddel his opinion and he is personally more in favor of putting out phosphate in two shots for a 6 year stand.

For me one big application makes sense as I usually plant one field back into alfalfa and plow out one old stand every year. That way the fertilizer cost each year is the same ether way, the application cost is slightly less, and total production is slightly more.

What has me wondering is how will Avail fit into this management style, considering my high pH, excessive calcium, and clay soil with 40 to 50 CEC values. Something I do not believe any University or corporate body will be interested in.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)