AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

20 inch corn in cent. IL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Keith on DelMarVa
Posted 6/18/2006 11:57 (#20319 - in reply to #20290)
Subject: Re: 20 inch corn in cent. IL

I walked a farmers feilds who planted twin row corn with a GP precision drill, in 04 and 05 ( was scouting the taters next to them)

His were dropped in a perfect staggered pattern , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' , ' was curious as to stand ....rather un scientific but I counted the skips and it was 95 % stand .... 475 plants in 500 spots ( yeah yeah I know I should have used a tape and did it correctly, but was on my time and not his), heck that could have been attributed to germ. I am gonna hear flack for this but, way better spacing than any other planter I have ever done a stand count on, even better than monosem, which is supposed to be the cream of the crop.

I will perface this with this statement... I HATE drilled beans, the stand and emergence is uneven. BUT, another of my potato growers has the same drill and I see Soybean emergence on 7 1/2" as good as his neighbors JD planter on 15" looks like a green carpet, not the usual mottled look a drilled field has.

I am very impressed with these machines, I dont really know much about durability, etc, but the stands are better than anything else I look at.

Keith
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)