AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

20 inch corn in cent. IL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

greenswede
Posted 6/18/2006 12:38 (#20325 - in reply to #20026)
Subject: I've often wondered why in all these combos thrown around

Urbandale Ia, (but originally from SE IA)
Nobody ever mentions 24" corn and 12" bean rows. Seems so naturally simple to me....1 foot bean rows/2 foot corn rows.
The corn would be narrowed up, but not so much to give you a headache when spraying or planting. The beans would be somewhere in between drilling and 15" splits. I never figured that there was anything magical about 15" beans other than it was half of what you were planting corn in, so that became the norm.
Perhaps it goes back to how machinery is designed. To try to do both with one machine, 15" is probably as narrow as possible to be able to physically get all the units on one bar. Any narrower and you would have to start staggering. With the trend to central fill hoppers, I can see that being something managable to work out.
I'm still a believer in different machines for different crops. Just hanging a coulter out front doesn't make a machine a no-till corn planter. Fine for beans, but I need a lot more goodies hanging on there when I plant corn. I've had many guys tell me no-till is fine for beans, but not for corn. I tell them it will work if you have a no-till planter. They say "I have a no-till planter", I say "No,you don't". Then, they just sorta look at me funny and I just let the conversation die, because I know its going to end up being like arguing with a fence post.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)