AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1020 or 925 on red combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 2/26/2008 18:29 (#320163 - in reply to #320122)
Subject: Re: 1020 or 925 on red combine

Not only is the 1020 a better head than a 820 our experience has shown that as we have gone to wider 1020s the quality of cut has improved. We have gone from a 20' 1020 to a 25' 1020 & currently am running a 30' 1020. The 30' has given us the best cut by far even though we are not running a Field Tracker and we do have rollier ground than in the past.

We were originally concerned when we bought our 2388 because it didn't have Field Tracker. However, our CIH service manager said to give it a try with a 30' head as he felt we wouldn't need a FT & if we did it wouldn't take long to put one on. We did, that was 3 seasons ago & see no need of the FT. I might add though, we are running "floater" tires so that may be part of the reason to our success as they don't give the pitchiness back & forth that reg tires do. Duals would have the same affect I would think.

As for 1.5" cut vs 3" cut. We have converted two 1.5" cut heads to 3". If you're running no-till beans the 3" is the only way to go IMO. We wouldn't think of buying another 1.2 " cut. Word of caution, if you are converting a 1.5" to 3" be sure to change the sickle drive pulley on the wobblebox. We weren't told that when we first converted one over & had problems. After putting the conversion pulley on it made a world of difference. As I recall the 1.5s used a 400 cycle per min pulley & the 3" need at least 550 cycle pulley. Belt will need changed as well.

There's a lot of JD combines around us & I can't see that they cut any better than our 30' 1020. In fact we demoed a 9650 when they first came out with a 930 head & I was very disapponited in the head, couldn't keep it out of the dirt. Not sure if it was settup wrong by the dealer or what but it was enough for us to trade for another red machine.

Dave, I know what you mean about the '60s machines. First combine I ever ran was a open station JD 45 roundback, no chopper & n automatic header height control. Made for some nasty days of bean cutting. We thought we were in heaen when we moved up to a 55 EB with cab (no ac) with chopper & hyd header height control.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)