AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

headline on beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 7/19/2006 13:13 (#27955 - in reply to #27898)
Subject: Re: headline on beans

We do scout our fields. Son formerly worked for a crop service & did scouting for them. From you post I take it you do not believe anything you read or hear as you say the only reason the chemical companies are pushing this is to make money. I will grant that is their primary reason but I have also seen enough data that I feel like it is worth trying on a limited basis. We are using Headline on less than 10% of our acreage

I also have been farming long enough to know that there are a lot of diseases out there that once the symptoms show up it is too late for treatment to be benificial. I also see nothing wrong with taking preventative steps. Sorta like taking a flu shot, doesn't do much good to take one after you have the flu or any other form of preventative medicine. But then I suppose you don'y take a flu shot anyways.

As for "monetary gain" I'm not dure about you but I'm into farming as a business not for the fun of it. If something is going to make me money I'm at least going to try it on a limited basis & make my own determination.

I equate trying Headline like looking at test plots of corn. All the information I have seen when a seed company puts out results 99.9% of the time their hybrid wins but I don't go out & plant all my acreages to that specific hybrid.. I take their info along with that of other research, talk to neighbors who have planted that variety & then if I decide I am still interested in it I'll try it on a limited basis on my own farms then make a decision on all those imputs as to whether I want to pursue using that product in the future. So far it's worked for me for over 35 yrs.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)