AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rootworm corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 7/22/2006 08:16 (#28832 - in reply to #28454)
Subject: Interesting conversation

Nevada, Iowa
I always seem to learn something here.
I would like to add re: population and lodging. We have had some substantial rw damage in corn following corn here this year due to dry conditions. Most of our worst damage has been in lower areas of the field. This is what puzzled me in the beginning, ground with the best water retention capabilities looked the worst while under the stress of the heat of the day, while hillsides, even hilltops with poorer water retention looked great. Long story short, one agronomist finally connected the dots for me when we found root feeding to be the worst in those lower areas and almost nonexistent on the hills, he said that the rw adults seem to pick the best yielding areas of the field to concentrate their egg laying. The areas that looked the worst to us were the areas that would really crank out the corn. BTW, this is not vrt planting, just one solid pop.
While your vrt planting may have exaggerated the problem, it is highly probable that it is not contributing as much as would appear on the surface. Just food for thought.

Edited by Dave Cen.Ia 7/22/2006 12:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)