AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potash and drought proofing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gumbo
Posted 7/22/2006 13:17 (#28907)
Subject: Potash and drought proofing?

I ,too ,just heard John Mccgillicudy speak. I was very impressed and have been digging roots like crazy. I'm in an area of no rain and we're hurt pretty bad and we seem to have this more than places further east. John spoke of using strip till and placing potash to try and get more potash in the plant to help stand dry weather. My soil is naturally high in potash- very high. Due to this high test, I have not been applying any potash for 10-15 years. Still have very high tests. Seems like my farms hurt worse in dry weather than some neighbors. Am I making a mistake doing this? I'd take leaf samples but figured they would be useless because most of my corn is fired to 1 leaf below the ear and has been under moisture and heat stress for over month- no rain since April 30 and last week we had 102-105 temps. I do apply a small amount of potash with my starter and it does show a good yield response. I attributed that to the high clay , compaction factor but there may be more to it. I guess, I'm looking for thoughts, ideas on whether I should go back to applying potash, how I should go about it and whether that will help drought proof the corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)