AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potash and drought proofing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmers edge
Posted 7/25/2006 10:06 (#29681 - in reply to #29555)
Subject: RE: As Klinger would say Very Interesting!

I like the formulas you are using, and will try them as I create strategies for the fall wheat and canola crop. You have some high CEC's and this is good, there is lots of potential to hold nutrients. When I look at the pH being 8, I would consider banding the K with some S source....Amm. Sulphate? This would create acid in the band and make the K more available. I like Mark's time tested method of banding.
We've just started doing some measured CECs. We only have to do them once per field, so the $17.10 is spread over years, and it can be valuable information when using it in calculations. We're also finding that the calculated can be misleading.
I like the saturation ratios because they give a good picture of what the plant is seeing. I don't look at them to see how much potash it would take to create the "ideal balanced" soil, because, like you say, it would take tons per acre to do this...not practical. It just lets me know what I should be putting in the band to give a saturation zone. Soils in my area of Ontario range from CEC of 8 to CEC of 40. The point of saturation ratios is not to change the whole soil, but to help decide if banding the K is the best option.
I definitely do not know all of the answers, and it is dialogue like this that makes us all better agronomist. I just lately learned a lot from the Clay-All-Over guy. I have never learned anything from a person I agree with.

The Farmer's Edge Agri-Coaching

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)