AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is there yield drag on 2nd year corn with the newer hybrids, how about 3rd year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/23/2006 23:15 (#29326 - in reply to #29281)
Subject: RE: is there yield drag on 2nd year corn with the newer hybrids, how about 3rd year

Driftless SW Wisconsin
Strip till is an alternative for corn on corn in some areas - not all.

We have several customers I can think of who are mostly corn or 100% corn and if there is a yield drag it is not obvious.

Again, please think in terms of net profit not just yield! Max profit does not necessarily occur at max yield. In fact max profit may rarely occur at max yield. jmho & experience.

Here is a photo of a poster put together by one of our customers for a strip till field day last week. These are his numbers, not mine. Used by permission.

Jim at Dawn

PS should explain the second poster on fert rate reduction with strip till. This SE MN customer applies a portion of his corn N and all P & K as dry with our strip till system in the spring. The corn then gets the balance of its N as liquid 28% sprayed behind the row on the planter mixed with Roundup and a residual herbicide. The comparison is to his previous method of broadcast, if I understood hiim correctly. In any case, his corn looked very good.

Edited by Jim 7/23/2006 23:25

(Dawn Strip Till SE MN 072006 corn on corn Machinery Cost Reduction poster.jpg)

(Dawn Strip Till SE MN 072006 Fert Reduction poster.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dawn Strip Till SE MN 072006 corn on corn Machinery Cost Reduction poster.jpg (56KB - 249 downloads)
Attachments Dawn Strip Till SE MN 072006 Fert Reduction poster.jpg (55KB - 238 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)