AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is there yield drag on 2nd year corn with the newer hybrids, how about 3rd year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tim..swIL
Posted 7/24/2006 23:25 (#29599 - in reply to #29281)
Subject: My 2 cents...

Freeburg, IL
We have been doing some continuous corn for 3 & 4 years based on fields. I agree that yield hit is somewhere from 0 to whatever. I don't think that in most cases it will exceed 15%, But I don't farm or work where all of you are...

One problem I have with plowing is that it creates a layer that can hold water and keep the residue from breaking down. If you are looking at more than 2 years of corn on corn, then forget the plow and chisel or strip till it. I believe the key for multi year corn on corn residue management is breaking down the residue into small portions, thus allowing faster decay.

The benefit of having the residue breaking down quickly will allow for nitrogen release from the decaying corn residue that has existing nitrogen tied up. We (dad, brother and I) think that as you get more years worth of residue breaking down the more nitrogen release you get. We are cutting N rates in excess of the soybean credit. Thus far we have raised our second best crop last year with a 30# reduction. We went down another 30# lower this year. We appear to have a strong corn crop this year and I'm confident we will have excellent corn.

If you have a favorite corn on corn hybrid, you should not plant it on the same acres 2 years in a row. Diseases will overwinter in the residue and it is believed that you have enhanced susceptibility to a hybrid in the second year.

Hybrid selection: You should choose hybrids with strong disease pressure, especially anthracnose and grey leaf spot. I believe you should consider the damage risks of rootworm pressure even if you are not in the extended diapause or variant area.

Lastly, make sure you clean the strip where you are going to plant. Autotoxicity exists where the residue releases chemicals that inhibit early seedling growth and even germination.

my 2 cents......
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)