AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swathing before harvesting??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 8/11/2006 09:08 (#34650 - in reply to #34608)
Subject: Sorry, I made an assumption that I should'nt have...

Sorry about that. I should have made mention the difference.

Ok, You are growing a forage fescue. K-31 and Fawn are what the seed companies base their price to us on. It is grown and sold on the open market, right?

What we grow here in the willamette valley oregon is mostly all a proprietary turf type tall fescue. In other words, each variety has a copywrited name and certain characteristics which make it appealing to certain buyers in certain areas. This is why you'll see on the tag of lawn seed, a mixture of grasses and the varieties are stated on that tag, as well as the percentage of those varieties. The proprietary stuff is grown under contract to the seed company that owns the varieties. Just our small little farm grows seven different varieties right now.

VNS is "Variety Not Stated". Basically it is used the same as K-31 and Fawn. In other words a filler that has no qualities or characteristics marketed. It is also sold on the open market.

If you ever get a spare moment, make a few calls to your local seed dealers and ask a few questions about the proprietary stuff. I would equate it simular to the various corn and bean varieties that you grow. I did'nt make the simularity till just now, but it is in essence, the same thing. Each variety has its own characteristics that make it more suitable for your farm and climate, right?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)