AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain Carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 8/10/2006 22:18 (#34543 - in reply to #34479)
Subject: RE: Grain Carts

Everyone's situation is different. I would say it would work better if the wagon held as much as you need for a truck. We've had all sizes and ran a lot of years with an 800 bu wagon and needed some off the combine everytime before turning the truck around. About 10 years ago we went to a 1040 Kinze and I was amazed at how much smoother things ran when the truck could load and leave and not have to wait for the combine to get back to top him off. I guess it would depend a little on your situation and where the bottlenecks are.

As for size it depends on what you intend to do with it. We ran a lot of years with a 1086 on an 800 bu Kinze. Looped a chain aroud the 3pt and under the drawbar to help strengthen it. Was fine in dry fields, didn't want to get close to a mud hole. (that applies to any size wagon with any size tractor) Going through a grader ditch at an angle we soon learned to make sure only one wagon wheel went in the ditch at the same time or it would turn the tractor around when the other roll on down to the bottom. Not as good as a bigger tractor, but it worked perfectly fine and was what we had at the time.

As for wagons, I'm partial to Kinze. Owned Kinze wagons since 1976 when we bought our first 400 with a manual fold auger. Look at the empty weights for comparable size wagons. (one of the major magazines had a comparison a couple years ago) It takes steel to make it strong, you're not going to float across a mud hole anyway so I'd look for one of the heavier ones. Look at the lowest point on the wagon and stop to think about what will drag first going through some ruts or ditches. The thing I don't like about wagons with corner augers is the bottom drive on the auger normally sits real low and is the first thing to drag in the mud. The drive line to it can also be hit. On a wagon with a horizontal auger all of that is up front and it makes for a lot more under frame clearance before something starts dragging in the mud. We've had our 1040 and 1050 Kinze's deep enough that the frame work between the duals would push mud as it went through a mud hole. If there had been a corner auger on it the bottom would have been plowing 2' deep.

As for your 4 wheeled auger wagon I'd run just as fast as I could away from it. It would pull like a sled because there would be no weight transfer to the tractor and it would be very hard to back away from a truck if you needed to. Don't know where you load, but there are a lot of times where we don't have the room to go past the truck and turn around and have to back away from it and turn back into a field when we are done.

If you are referring to a bogie tandem axle vs a large single wheel or duals on the same axle. I'd pick the large singel or the duals vs the bogie. The taller the tires the better and most bogies that I've seen are small diameter tires. Big tires roll better and have more surface area on the ground.

Good luck
Ray

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)