AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Issue mapping fields - line of sight requirement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

NF_IL
Posted 2/13/2016 00:51 (#5107896)
Subject: Issue mapping fields - line of sight requirement

I have a Phantom 3 that I used this past year for spot checking and mapping fields throughout the season. I was very impressed with the images and performance of this drone. I found the maps made easy app very simple and cheap compared to drone deploy for automatic flying and taking pics. I am not sure why it doesn't get the press like drone deploy always does. I must be missing something. However, the image stitching process I like best is to just use freeware MS image composite editor...

Anyway, my question is regarding line of sight while mapping. How can anyone map a field legally of any reasonable size? An 80 is 1/2 x 1/4 mi. Maybe my eyesight is poor, but there is no way I can maintain line of sight out that far on that tiny drone. To be honest, I am glued to my FPV (iphone) the whole time anyway which is also against the rules without an "unenhanced" (no binoculars) visual observer keeping visual line of sight on the drone during the whole flight. I have asked others to try to keep a view of the drone, but they lose it quickly too.

I have been mapping 80-160ac fields regularly so, learning of this line of sight requirement rule makes me think my drone is much less helpful if I have to map something much much smaller on each flight. I would not have bought the drone if I could not legally map something at least like 40 acres. Maybe that orange wrap will let me see it a 1/2 mile away?? Hopefully there is an easy workaround.

Thanks in advance!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)