AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mouth to Bin Yield ratio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 8/25/2006 10:03 (#38617 - in reply to #38584)
Subject: RE: Mouth to Bin Yield ratio

Must be a universal truth on some needing to brag.

I rarely share my actual production with anyone but in the cases I do it is backed up by hard numbers verified by scale tickets not some WAG or "I know how much my wagons hold"  

Seems there are those types here too who exaggerate their yields also. But every once in a while you get a chance to disprove all the hype, by seeing a local test plot yield with weighed results from a nearby farm and see those yields are the same or sometimes less than what I had.

The most telling thing I found was during the last US farm bill sign up there was an option to update bases and yields based on actual production numbers. For my situation having NOT been in the original F2F program documenting acres and yield was the only way to get my bases back. When l asked several  that always brag about high yields if they were going to update bases and yields they said no it was way too much work !!!  Having the opportunity to update bases and yields was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity that I felt many would want a chance to prove if in fact the yields were what they reported. Either they could not because of commingling of production, or they knew they could not do better than the county averages even though they usually brag about their high yields.

I was fortunate I had excellent records backed up by scale tickets on a field by field basis across every farm. I've always done it this way for accurate and proven production records. Yes it takes a lot more time this way but it was well worth it when it came time for documenting yield. Although submitting proof at sign up time was not mandatory I submitted all my proof when I signed up so they already have it.  Here is a picture of the stack of copies of scale tickets and acres we reported each year even though we were not in the original F2F program.

(Proof.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Proof.JPG (75KB - 195 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)