AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mouth to Bin Yield ratio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 8/27/2006 09:56 (#39080 - in reply to #38617)
Subject: RE: Mouth to Bin Yield ratio

Thumb of Michigan
The saying around here is that the first liar never wins. My standard response is that my yields are just like my grandkids. Above average. Up to the other liar to decide what average is. Other than I'm not lying about my grandkids, they are above average and pretty darn good looking kids, too. You folks without grandkids won't understand that statement, however. No ones ever had a dumb, ugly grandkid in recorded history as far as I know.

Von, although I updated bases and yields on all but one farm when I had the opportunity, the whole process was an exercise in futility on the yield end of things. We had a fairly accurate production base back in the 80's when yield history was important. Updated lots of it in 1986 during a disaster year. Then Grahm-Rudman reduced the yield by I think 15%. I predicted then that it was going to bite us down the road. Fast forward to the last farm bill. I proved acres and yields, then got reduced by (again, i think?) somewhere around 5%for the opportunity to prove yields. We quit raising non program crops a while ago, so the opportunity to update base acres was a good opportunity for us. I'd have been a lot better off with pre Graham-Rudman yields.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)