AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For the no-tillers-------what system would...........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 8/27/2006 15:01 (#39142)
Subject: For the no-tillers-------what system would...........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

accomplish the following:    till a strip about 2 inches wide in standing, growing rye/oats, maybe 2-3 feet tall, so that the ground would be soft enough to assure good closure/seed to soil contact for soybeans?

The standing crop would be thickly sowed, on broadcast basis.........so the plants would be randomly spaced, so the wavy coulters would have to be able to cut thru.

there would be little if any trash on the ground under the standing crop, so cleaning the ground surface ahead of the coulters should not be a problem.

The potential problem I see is that of handling the root mass of the standing crop in the strip, since the killing of the standing crop would not occur until at least a few days (yet to be determined) after the planting process..........it would appear to take some healthy coulters to churn the roots enough to keep them from causing trouble in the closing process.

Or.............am I over-reacting to the difficulty of laying in the bean seed an inch deep in the standing crop?  ie, the openers/closers would have little trouble in dealing with the standing crop.

My root concern is making sure the seed-to-soil contact is solid within the situation of planting into a standing crop--------which might therefore be a little more moist at ground level.

Planting time frame would be Mid-May----------June 5..........in southeastern Iowa...........which, during the past few years, has been relatively wet.

Obviously, we have not engaged in no till before................so be gentle. 

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)