AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New yard.....how?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hedge tree
Posted 9/5/2006 14:18 (#41551 - in reply to #41537)
Subject: Fescue

Central Kansas
Given your location and the type of yard you are talking about, a modified blend of fescue (not just straight K-31) would appear to be the best solution. There are a number of 'Kansas' blends, I prefer WaterSaver but Orschlens, Tractor Supply, or a good feed/seed store can steer you to a fine leafed blend of fescues.

I have successfully planted some pretty large areas by using a drop spreader and seeding in both directions about the amount they call for on the seed bag.....then pulling a harrow section behind my 4-wheeler and dragging it in. Primitive?...sure, but works pretty darn good. You need to water (not soak it) but water it a couple times a day to keep it moist. It will germinate this tiime of year in 5-7 days, then you just keep it moist so it can establish a good root system prior to a heavy frost. The time is NOW...and you might even mow it 1X or so this fall.

The best seeding system is a true grass drill (Brillion type) but you have to hire someone. The next best is a 'vertislicer'. This gas powered machine has a box on top that you put seed in. Made to overseed thin lawns but going two directions and opening the seed box slit up, it does a nice job of initial seeding in pretty hard ground. You push it as they are not self propelled, but the turning slicing knives give it some assist. They can be rented for your job, if close by, for 1/2 day for about $30. That would be the best way, but roto-tilling, broadcasting, and dragging shut works pretty darn well even if it doesn't look like it should. Seeding rates?....I always put on plenty...seed is cheap, re-planting and thin stands aren't worth the cost savings. Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)