AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New yard.....how?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 9/5/2006 19:09 (#41579 - in reply to #41537)
Subject: is there a Grass Pad in St. Joe?

Thought there was, if you're close they would be a good source of info and product.

Don't try to use cheap and grass in the yard in the same sentence. A little money saved on the front end can lead to years of frustration with poor stands, rough ground and more expense later. Spreading seed on top and just dragging with a harrow is fine, especially if you will mulch it and water it. Rule of thumb you only want the seed planted as deep as 8 times the thickness of the seed. Grass seed is pretty thin. Even if it's not under the cover of soil if it's under the mulch and you keep it watered it will germ and put a root down.

I'd try to find one of the newer fescue blends, might make a difference if it was in shade or sun.

Like the other poster said, just a light application of a balanced fertilizer according to the bag. Too much and you can burn roots on new seedlings.

Personally for a yard I'd seed it 25% heavier than what's recommended. No bigger an area than that is I'd get some straw and shake it out by hand for a thin even mulch. Then water once or twice a day. Twice a day would be better until it gets a couple inches tall then you can go back to soaking it every couple days. Mulch will help keep the moisture in and will make a super difference in the amt of seed that germinates. You want to keep fescue's thick so they don't try to clump up and keep a fine blade on them.

Technically you can see grass around here in any month that has an "R" in it, but the sooner the better right now.

Remember it is never going to be smoother than it is when you seed it, if anything it may settle and get rougher so spend enough time getting the ground in shape FIRST because nothing you can do after that will make it any better. I've heard of people sprinking sand in grass to fill up low spots, but that is extreme. Spend the time to get it right first.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)