AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fertlizer placement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/6/2006 10:42 (#41814 - in reply to #41750)
Subject: Re: fertlizer placement/removal

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Mark,

I recall I think it was Hay Wilson that calculated the actual amount of N in a bushel of dry corn is 0.6-0.7 pounds.

It seems logical, even ignoring any naturally occurring N generation from worm activity etc that anything over .6-.7 lb per bu is not used, is probably lost migrates down into the water table. Midwest Universities have, until recently, been recommending 1.1-1.2 or higher lb of N per bu. We also have many corn areas with high nitrates in well water which is not good for children. Maybe there is a correlation here? 

You could probably do similar calculations for the actual P & K in a bu of corn and I would bet that the actual removal is a lot less than we have been applying.

P & K are not immediately available to the plant but they are still there in some form. If you carefully apply the amount removed in a way where it is not wasted and in a location readily accessible to the plant when it needs it, over time the rates needed will be much less than many past application recommendations.

I am not against placing fertilizer deep occasionally. In strip till, P & K can be knifed in below the strip maybe every 3-5 years. But you don't need to do it every year, just like fertilizing the beans ahead of corn. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)