AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Testing Labs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 9/22/2006 23:26 (#45871 - in reply to #45804)
Subject: Re: Soil Testing Labs

Grand Rapids, MI
Hay and Martin,

Probably both good thoughts, but the bottom line is the client wants to do it this fall and spread off it this fall, hence looking for a relatively quick turnaround. Hay I tend to agree with you on the reliability of soil tests, at least the way I see some people using them, doing interpolation, etc. I think they are often thought to be much more accurate than they ever could be. That being said, I don't think I would ever want to farm without the benefit of having soil test information either. So they are certainly of some value, just not as accurate as many people tend to treat them.

As for taking tests in season, I think this is what I am going to suggest to the client over the longer term. They tend to be on a Corn-Soys rotation. I think I will suggest that they take the soil samples on an early pass through scouting soys, then we will not have the time crunch in the fall and be ready to spread K as soon as the beans come off for the corn crop the following year. This wasn't done this year, so no longer an option at this point. As to pulling samples and using them a year later, I think I would tend to like to make use of the information quicker than 1 1/2 years later (when the crop that would benefit would be planted) perhaps its my young and modern just-in-time thinking, but it just seems to me like too much lag time.

As to the other recommendations, thank you! I have contacted A & L Great Lakes, they seem pretty competitive with price and very professional. They have a 3 day turnaround, though. I have not contacted the one in Ontario. While being close to Michigan, the shipping cost increases quite a lot, and I would be concerned about delays through customs, etc. perhaps not a big deal, but if there are good choices in the States probably makes more sense. Haven't had a chance to check out Litchfield or Agri-Labs yet. I did contact Spectrum Analytic in Washington Courthouse, OH. They also seemed very professional, a little higher but still competitive priced, and said 95% plus 1 day turnaround, 2 at the max. Has anyone had experience with them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)