AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lime and Potash?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/1/2006 10:30 (#48020 - in reply to #47868)
Subject: Good to se you are still active.

Little River, TX

I may just have not made the connection with the name Keith.

Possibly you remember my applying 2000 lbs/A of Murate of Potash on one alfalfa field roughly 10 years ago. Well here is an update.
That stand lasted better than previous ones on that field. The soil test remained in the low 400 ppm K range and the tissue analysis settled in the 2.20% K range. The next time that field was planted to alfalfa it received 1000 lbs K-S-Mag and another 500 lbs of MOP per acre. To my surprise The soil test went up into the low 500 ppm K range and the plant analyses was right on 3.50% K. (The Hay samples were still in the 2.50% K range.) Still I was concerned and pulled soil and tissue samples the second year back in production. The soil tested just under 500 ppm K and the tissue analysis was again just under 2.50% K

I observed that field survived it's first summer drought better than ever before. Production is slightly better than the field which has had lots of potash applied but not on the heroic proportions.

Possibly my applying the potash & K Mag in the spring rather than the previous fall had a bearing on the higher uptake of K. (These fields have a CEC in the 40 meq/100g range.)

Possibly it required a full year for all that K to be take in by the clay. The timing may be a benefit for the first season's survival.

Rather than relying on a computed CEC value I get a measured CEC value.

Time to run. Have a great year.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)