AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sprayer pics from Oregon
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 10/9/2006 08:38 (#49865 - in reply to #49770)
Subject: RE: Strip Till pictures from Saturday in Minnesota & autosteer

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Jim,
the last time I left a field without doing any tillage in the fall,I could not touch it for a week after the other fields in the spring. It turned green with mold it stayed so wet. Never again. Even if its just NH3 ,something to open the field and get some black dirt. The rushmore clay soils on that farm are a bugger when wet.
So if one runs the unit twice, once in the fall and once in the spring, where is the fuel savings?? I want NH3 and refuse to use expensive 28%. Surely a trip with a field cultivator can't cost that much more than a strip till rig??One could argue erosion, but I have to much residue now and don't feel that erosion is a problem, especially wind erosion. Our biggest problem is working wet,cold clay soils.
I like the pictures you show but the equipment in the pictures is always high priced stuff. Come down to earth and show some older less expensive rigs. All my tractors put together don't equal the cost of one of those new front wheel assist JD's!!!
I have an IH head, it is impossible to run the head high, not unless you want to miss all the down stalks and ears. If one could plant all BT corn and no refuge acres it might be possible. Also I have the big tires that run over a row. Haven't seen the need to buy the expensive straddle duals for my combine. Yield monitor is the next expense.
Our manure is put on with disc coverers ,not knives. Knives allow the manure to run down the hill, they went out years ago. There is no way to strip till over the manure. With the big tanks they are all over the place especially on side hills. If you plant between the manure you will see nothing but yellow corn the next year. That is why we work the field at an extreme angle in the spring.
There are many issues to be worked out with manure and strip till. Getting the tanks to run straight would be the first challenge. Even with GPS the tank drift would be different then the tractor drift. Some kind of compensating signal for the tank is needed. Its hard to hold a 7000 gal tank on a side hill.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)