AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some plowing pics.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tbeck
Posted 10/30/2006 23:29 (#56624 - in reply to #56608)
Subject: Re: Some plowing pics.

Culbertson, MT
It's a Model 10 (look really close at the 2nd picture). i only remember 1 around here. More of the larger models (20 or 30?). There are a very few of the 60 models west of here in the Milk River country, lots of grass hay close to ranch HQ's. There were more of the JD 200's in our neighborhood. If I could have all of my hay ground right here at the place, thats what I'd use. Made properly, those stacks will keep a long time.

I think the McKee's were a different beast. They had a housing mounted on a stack mover, pulled behind a blower or chopper. There were others too, Farmhand had a similar setup. I remember Dad using a Dahlman that belonged to a cousin; it was normal to make the stacks as large as possible ( 3x the size of a JD 200 stack) and heavy enough that the 2150 Oliver pulling it would spin out in sod! He figured in grain hay, some of those stacks weighed 10T. The choppers didn't last long as they made the stacks too heavy so blowers were used to tame down the weight. They worked pretty well but went by the wayside in favor of round balers. Mostly because we got tired of moving the stacks with tractors and stack movers. I recald dad having to move a couple hundred of the JD 200 stacks, 3 at a time, on a large Dahlman mover behind the 930 Case with the benefit of a canvas heater houser! He traded up to a JD 4520 with a heated cab the next summer!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)